Professional Practice Programme
The Professional Practice programme at Screen Academy Scotland which is made possible through funding through Creative Skillset, is designed to support student and graduates' professional development through interaction with industry professionals. The Professional Practice programme offers mentoring and work placements as well as a range of masterclasses, Visiting Lecturers and Professional Practice workshops to students on Postgraduate filmmaking courses.
- CV writing
- signposting opportunities
- making and maintaining contacts
- applying for short film funding and other support
- distribution and marketing short films
- Hit The Ground Running
- Meet the Industry event which include mini marketplace of industry organisation
- visits from professional bodies such as BAFTA Scotland and unions such as BECTU and EQUITY
- talks from industry professionals on their roles
- networking events with industry practitioners
- visits to facilities houses and broadcasters
- set etiquette
- health & safety on set -assessing and managing risks
- business start up support, including Starter for Six and Starting Out (Cultural Enterpise)
- blogging/ e-portfolios/ web presence
- attendance at Glasgow Film Festival, Edinburgh International Film Festival, Encounters Film Festival, Bristol, Celtic Media Festival, Creative Loop Media Festival, Inverness Film Festival, Discovery Film Festival, Dundee, Cromarty Film Festival and more.
Creative Collaborations is a regular networking event for Edinburgh Napier and Edinburgh College of Art filmmaking students. It provides an opportunity for directors, writers, producers and animators to meet each other and collaborate on their projects. The events include speed dating and pitching sessions, screenings of student work as well as opportunities to chat. These informal networking sessions help students get to know each other and result in many undergraduate and postgraduate partnerships.
Continued Professional Development
Graduated? Freelancer? Looking for a change?...We also offer a range of Short Courses in which film, TV, and creative media professionals can develop their skills with the aid of experienced industry practitioners. Our international programme ENGAGE is a hugely successful training programme designed to bring together an international pool of new and emerging writers, directors and producers. We work closely with the industry to ensure a seamless transition from education to employment, tailoring our programmes to provide industries with the graduates they need, and offer our students the opportunities they want. Several programmes such as Lo Fi, Screen NETS, HTGR, aim to develop personal creativity and professional skills through direct contact with industry practices and personnel.