Facilities at Screen Academy Scotland
What resources are there at Screen Academy Scotland?
Screen Academy Scotland at Edinburgh Napier University is one of Scotland’s leading screen practice educators. We have a broad range of facilities available to students.
Our post production facilities are housed at our Merchiston Avenue campus, with our production facilities are available to students at our Craiglockhart Campus.
2A Merchiston Avenue
Edinburgh EH10 4NU
Near Merchiston Campus
219 Colinton Rd
Edinburgh EH14 1DJ
The Post-production Centre based in Merchiston Avenue provides full Post-Production facilities and accommodates the busy schedules of both our post-graduate and undergraduate students:
Post Production Facilities at Edinburgh Napier University
- Projection/Screening Room that can cater for 60 students, fitted with 4K projection and 7.1 audio.
- A large teaching studio with 20 Avid stations for both Protools and Media Composer
- 2 Avid Studio teaching rooms with 7 and 5 Avid Media Composer and protools suites.
- 5 x individual Avid Media Composer suites, in self-contained rooms.
- 4 x individual Pro Tools suites
- Used for sound editing, these suites are equipped with the latest Pro Tools Ultimate software, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Interface, Avid Artist-Mix controller, Genelec 8030 speakers and access to a range of plug-ins.
- Avid Online Media Composer with Symphony grading option and Avid Artist DNxIO interface. A 24TB RAID drive and 4k monitor.
- DaVinci Resolve Online with Resolve Mini Panel and UltraStudio 4K Extreme interface. A 24TB RAID drive and 4K monitor.
At the heart of our facility we have a 180TB Avid Nexis Media Server with Interplay and MediaCentral UX functionality.
Equipped with Dolby Atmos mixing studio, an Avid Pro Tools S6 modular control surface and Genelec speakers in a 7.1.4 configuration.
Comprising an AKG C414B microphone (with other microphones available), headphone amplifier and monitor, this fully soundproofed room allows the recording of any effects (e.g. footsteps, clothing or other spot effects) that need to be added to a film’s soundtrack.
Comprising of a Neumann TLM103 microphone (with other microphones available), headphone amplifier and monitor, this fully soundproofed room allows the recording of voiceover, ADR or narration to picture.
Sound Effects Library
For the sourcing of sound effects difficult to recreate, or for a quicker workflow, we have a comprehensive, centralised sound library offering a wide variety of sound effects and atmospheres that can be added to any Pro Tools session.
Up to date professional camera equipment and lighting available from our film stores at Craiglockhart Campus:
- Arri Alexa Mini LF – Film Industry standard camera, capable of delivering up to 4.6k images producing a film-like organic look, with an accompanying set of Zeiss Ultra Prime Lenses.
- Arri Alexa Classic – Flagship camera of many high-end film productions over the past 10 years, Upgraded with the XR module, it is capable of shooting up to 3.2k. With an accompany set of Zeiss Ultra Prime Lenses.
- Blackmagic URSA Mini cameras – Capable of shooting up to 4.6K RAW, with their own selection of Sigma prime lenses.
- Blackmagic Pocket Pro 6k – We have 9 Blackmagic pockets, these marvellous small workhorse cameras provide a flexible filming experience.
- Arri Super 16mm SR2 – A super 16mm Arri SR2 film camera ready to produce films the classic way.
- Sony FX6 – Film Industry approved cinema line cameras with full frame sensor for amazing 4k images.
- Sony FS7 – The perfect camera for documentary shooters.
- Dollies and Grip – We have 4 dollies in our storeroom including two professional Pro-Sup dollies with accompanying steel track.
- Lighting - We have an extensive range of Kino flo LED Celebs, Powerful HMI Fresnel lamps (1.2k & 2.5k), Various Fresnels lamps (300w, 650w, 1k, 2k) and a selection of on-board LED lights.
- Sound – We have numerous workhorse Sound Devices Mixpre3 audio recorders supplemented by Mixpre10t and 833 for the more seasoned sound recordist. Along with a wide range of Sennheiser shotgun and radio mics.
- We also have a wide selection of High-definition monitors ranging from 17″ director’s monitors to the smaller on-board camera monit